Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Big Dig - Tysons Style...

So we have this little project going on in Northern Virginia - the extension of Metro to Dulles Airport. To get there - it has to go through Tysons Corner, which is a mini metropolis with businesses, residences and the largest shopping mall in the area. This project is in the middle of construction simultaneously on the Beltway, within the two major roads in Tysons Corner, and the Dulles Toll Roll.
Tonight I was going to a League Meeting in Tysons and took a snapshot of the ongoing construction the median of Leesburg Pike. There will be an elevated track above this median. There was a big push to tunnel the entire line but the budget killed this. Instead of losing the project completely, there was finally consensus to tunnel a portion but surface/elevate a majority.

I saw this cool article on USA Today that shows some other great pictures of the massive construction, all while traffic continues. I should mention the Gannett Headquarters, which publishes USA Today, are in Tysons

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2011-01-19-silverline19_CV_N.htm

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I live away from DC today, and away from the stress.

    Today is Friday, and I am not letting life get to me. I deal with life on lifes terms today, and that is a good thing. My coffee spilled in my car, but in true terms of life, that is not a big deal. Some people would say thats a start to a bad day, I just say thats life. I got to work, got some paper towels, cleaned it up, and got on with my day. I think of all the good things I have in my life. My great dogs, my loving family, my great friends (including Kelly!), a great house, and a loving god. I look at whats great in life, not whats bad.

    There are some things I am dealing with that are out of my control, and I have to make decisions that are tough. This hurts, but with love and support I am ok today. Do I wallow in what this sick person does to me, my family and this innocent person, no. What has helped is every night I pray for this person, odd concept I know. I give it to god, and let him guide my path and I will make the right choices through him. Here is the prayer of st francis that helps me:

    O Lord, make me an instrument of Thy Peace!
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
    Where there is injury, pardon.
    Where there is discord, harmony.
    Where there is doubt, faith.
    Where there is despair, hope.
    Where there is darkness, light.
    Where there is sorrow, joy.

    Oh Divine Master, grant that I may not
    so much seek to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love;
    for it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life

    So today I am sound of mine and pure of heart. I could not do this if it wasn't for looking at the great things in my life and god. With true love and support of everyone, I am a happy man today and comforted. I have inner peace for the first time in my life.

    Maybe its the Xanax, booze, cigarettes, cheetoes, and the new micro-fridge-ironing-plasma-computer-fixeverthing-soberingup-fixmylife device I just bought thing. Who knows. But today I am Sober (clear of mind, pure of heart).

    Now what in the hell does this have to do with Kellys post...hmm I have no clue. Maybe I need cookies to get back on target again. Adam

    ReplyDelete